diy solar

diy solar

Luyuan battery case

Prob final tipping point to take early retirement.

FedEx tracking says:

- On truck for delivery
- Shipment exception, Driver retired with no notice.
Good thing those of you who ordered got everything out to shipping because the next 2 weeks is a holiday over there.
I got my first order shipped, my add on order a week later for two additional 8s boxes and two JK screens for 16 cells I already have didn’t make it out. But I will have plenty to do.

I received my cells already. I only opened one box and they look beautiful.
They look so good compared to the ones I got a few years ago.
And they took less then a month to arrive!
I guess my cases will arrive soon. I am anxious but I assumed it would take 2 months.

Dang, so what two weeks for the boat ride and a week or less for fedex? Hope mine take longer, not ready.

I got my first order shipped, my add on order a week later for two additional 8s boxes and two JK screens for 16 cells I already have didn’t make it out. But I will have plenty to do.
Which JK BMS and screen are you going with?

I was thinking about another 32 cells and four more 304ah box kits, but if they are shipping that fast I will have to wait. Maybe cell prices will come down some more. Pretty hard to get over 20 boxes though the front door unnoticed🤫

Last edited:
You guys have deeper pockets and liberal use of that CC than I am allowed, lol I’m just eyeing a single second 8s to add to my soon to be existing.

You guys have deeper pockets and liberal use of that CC than I am allowed, lol I’m just eyeing a single second 8s to add to my soon to be existing.
I paid for 96 cells from Amy a few days ago. Won't ship for a few weeks but I was ready to get it done. Cells were $78 each plus shipping for "Grade A" matched. I once bought some B grade from her, won't do that again. I bought my best and worst cells from her.

Ordered 2 280Ah boxes, one is going in the basement to supplement the 58Kwh battery bank in the cabinet. The other is undecided, I might put it in the house too. Was actually intending it for the golf cart. I might need it for the shop. Already have another cabinet to fill with cells for the shop.

CC problems? Not here.

Ohhh man the internal desire to add a second 8s of 230 or 280 plus a box/bms is growing!

Figure it’d be around $1000 landed to my door.

Ohhh man the internal desire to add a second 8s of 230 or 280 plus a box/bms is growing!

Figure it’d be around $1000 landed to my door.
It can be kinda addictive in a way...
One must have "safety" throttles to keep from getting carried away / caught up "in the moment".
Those "Should'a, Could'a, Would'a" things also work Bi-Directionally too ! LOL

It can be kinda addictive in a way...
One must have "safety" throttles to keep from getting carried away / caught up "in the moment".
Those "Should'a, Could'a, Would'a" things also work Bi-Directionally too ! LOL
Not so much addictive as I'm hedging on future energy costs.

My shop uses as much as 1800Kw a month. Utility is raising rates over 20% total in this year and next. 13.7% this year, then 8.3% next year but with compounding it comes to over 20%. I could raise my rates to cover the increase. I plan on raising rates to cover the increase but install solar for load reduction. It locks in my price for those Kwh's in the future. Plus I will have backup power if grid goes down. We had an ice storm a few years back that took down major transmission lines and grid was down for over 2 weeks. I have better things to do than maintain generators.

I get full depreciation on the system for shop expenses, that means in the end once it is written off the power is free. I've been in business over 37 years and most major expenses have long been written off so either I spend some money for write offs or pay income taxes on it.

This is all for 3 season off grid cabin, we use 2 weekends a month, it has all the time to charge when we’re not there, and use maybe 1-2kwhr a weekend, but I’ve been eyeing a nice 12k mini split that’d help the comfort levels in the heat of the summer.

I live offgrid so I look at my batteries slightly differently. Also because to get grid here would have cost me 75K and solar + battery was a no brainer. In one sense my ROI was instant (Not Paying Big Power Big Bux) but the costs versus what I would have had to pay out monthly is pretty darn close too and that's with my latest upgrade pile coming, it'll be back in that black within the year. Considering no power failures (happens a lot up here) or other issues that come with Grid, all good.

I am in town with hydronic natural gas heating, we have Mitsubishi mini splits as well. I had planned on a mobile system in my work truck that could be used as backup to the house in an emergency. But I had only planned for losing one of my utilities, either gas or electric. This last cold snap we had we got notices from the gas co that we better conserve or our gas was running out, they had a natural gas storage facility malfunction and couldn’t supply gas to the grid, then came the notice from the power company to conserve because the electrical grid was getting overloaded. It was a wake up call. Not exactly end of the world but in 7 degree weather could get bad quick.

Back