diy solar

diy solar

Another Dead 120/240v Inverter Generator

ChrisG

Solar Addict
Got to our cabin last night. Everything was dead, LBCO on inverter. Inverter Generator starts but won't power anything. Checked fuses, wires, etc and of course out of warranty. No one has 240v in stock but PLENTY of 120v. No it's not a Honda...this is my second time regretting not getting it.

Anyway, seems you can get a 120v inverter generator in a pinch from multiple suppliers but I need 240v for various reasons I won't go into here. Could I get a 4k-6k auto transformer or transformer to step up 120v to 240v instead of screwing with these high dollar and crappy 240v inverter generators? If there are autotransformers or transformers that anyone recommends please post here if you don't mind....if this is a viable option.

What have you been buying?

Champion on amazinzone was like $550, tech support was great (had to call twice, starts on first pull, and only $565 or something at the time. 6250 or 6500W or something.

I expect many years of use out of it.

Can you add more panels?

What have you been buying?
First was a used harbor freight. This last one was a 5 year old Champion

Cheap generator to Chargeverter to directly charge the battery.
Growatt autotransformer.
Yes! on the Chargeverter. Want the ability to power the well (240v Grundfos SQ Soft Start) directly if there is complete inverter/battery failure, as well as some other items. This is why I am looking for 120v inverter generator and want a step-up autotransformer to 240v. @DIYrich do you happen to have a link to that growatt Autotransformer for Step-Up?

I don't need a lot of power, about 2000w max (no surge with Grundfos) and focused on run time of inverter generator with limited fuel. hard to find a fuel efficient 2000w 240v inverter generator.

Used stuff used at what level of abuse?
You don’t know.

I bought a Predat-er and returned it the next day - bought a champion on amazone for $400 less (or was it $500 less?) minutes later because of the long warranty and people who answer the phone.

You never know with used equipment.

Last edited:
5kw inverter generator, $1100

Thanks for the recommendation however I am looking for a 240v fuel sipping in the 2000w range which is the problem. This is for a mountain elevation cabin, cannot get propane tank installed or propane delivered so have to deal with 40lb tanks and not going to store gas.

This is why I’m considering a smaller 120v inverter generator and Autotransformer to step up voltage make split phase for either charging batteries or direct power cabin

Last edited:
Well it looks like @HighTechLab solved my question 5 years ago. This is exactly what I want to do. Now need an autotransformer. Goal is to have fuel sipping 240v inverter generator(s) to charge batteries or direct power cabin. Hell I can get two suitcase inverter generators and parallel them (easier now than in Dexter’s video). I have no surge with 240v Gundfos so need just enough power to pump water and power some circuits and of course charge batteries.

Maybe your are not aware, but Champion has many authorized repair shops and their equipment is very repairable, unlike many others, they do keep parts in stock for their models both current & old. It's probably worth looking into that first.

Maybe your are not aware, but Champion has many authorized repair shops and their equipment is very repairable, unlike many others, they do keep parts in stock for their models both current & old. It's probably worth looking into that first.
I’ve already started looking to get it repaired. But really want 120v/240v split phase with limited fuel consumption which is why the smaller 120v with autotransformer is appealing.

I’ve already started looking to get it repaired. But really want 120v/240v split phase with limited fuel consumption which is why the smaller 120v with autotransformer is appealing.
You can get a 5000w inverter generator champion or any proven brand... open frame...its like 70lbs, just get a dual connector on amazon 2X N5-15P 125v to a L14-30P 125/250v...

Example link
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BM9SR9MG?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
You can turn your 120v generator to use a 125v/ 250V

Champion, Honda and others make connector daisy chain kits to take two smaller efficient 120v units and double them up.

Decision made, not getting a 120v with an autotransformer. While I'm confident it will work, don't need to deal with the complexity. Pulsar 7250 240v is the answer. Will also look to get my current one fixed, if possible. I'll just get a few more 40lb propane tanks.

Pulsar 7250 240v is the answer.
So you don’t need split phase? Or you do?

The Champion 6250? I bought was <$600 and that includes a three-year champion warranty and a three-year service plan. I don’t normally buy service plans but it was so inexpensive that I figured it was worth it; that they even offered that and the long standard warranty to begin with made me think that if they have that much confidence in their product to do a service plan at a giveaway price I wax going to be much better off over the predate-er (with hobofreight’s history of creating orphans with no parts).

So you don’t need split phase? Or you do?

The Champion 6250? I bought was <$600 and that includes a three-year champion warranty and a three-year service plan. I don’t normally buy service plans but it was so inexpensive that I figured it was worth it; that they even offered that and the long standard warranty to begin with made me think that if they have that much confidence in their product to do a service plan at a giveaway price I wax going to be much better off over the predate-er (with hobofreight’s history of creating orphans with no parts).
The pulsar is 120/240v split phase. I’m specifically looking for a clean power inverter/generator. Champion now only offers one of those at 240v that run on propane at 8500w and over $2300 in the U.S. when in stock. Ther is also a 9500w Tri fuel but these are too large and really don’t Meet my fuel consumption requirements.

Pulsar is $900/240v 7250w inverter. Should run for 25-30 hours on a 40lb propane tank at 25% load (1800 watts which is the max I’ll pull concurrently - this is why I wanted to have a much smaller 240v inverter/generator. 2000w would be perfect but don’t exist)

Last edited:
I think regardless of the output voltage you want a durable long lasting fuel sipping gen but are looking at Chinese garbage.

What you are describing is at minimum not going to be an inverter based unit, probably should be low speed, and possibly liquid cooled.

A small diesel gen sub 10kw is going to last 10,000 hours of run time with minimal for repairs.

If you need to run a split phase well pump then get a split phase inverter use a cheap suitcase with a battery charger. But don't expect it to last forever and be bulletproof. These things are made for camping.

Back