diy solar

diy solar

Another Dead 120/240v Inverter Generator

I can see that circuit in the diagram. You made me look. The guy on the phone at champion said to unbond it to just remove the wire at the frame… but the diagram says differently as apparently you are aware.

Since ‘the shop’ will be supplied from a breaker panel (currently) fed from the ‘house’ 2kW inverter and the 1012LV-MK is NOT supplying the house- charging by solar and/or generator only- and the 1012 disconnects its N-G bond when the grid/gen-to-house homerun is energized …
So basically I need to think about that a bit more and come up with a no-mix wiring scheme. I already have six 10ga thhn in conduit (not yet in service) so I can keep the 1012 incoming circuit and the 2kW output circuits holy.
But thanks for pointing out the 6250 bond inside the rig- I “knew” that was on the diagram but hadn’t thought about it yet.

Edit
Probably just going to wire the shop breaker panel from the generator looking ahead to a 6048 or a couple 6548s, and just power a couple independent outlets and a light from the ‘house’ feed. Saves a couple things from needing attention.
The wire to the frame (wing nut) only removes the bond to the frame. Take the main panel off as much as you can (choke will limit you) and either on the right side lower or middle back you will see a lug that has a green wire and white wire connected. I removed the white and taped it up then use heat shrink on it. No way it will rub or touch anything. G/N bond is removed. I kept the ground to frame connection as is.

I can see that circuit in the diagram. You made me look. The guy on the phone at champion said to unbond it to just remove the wire at the frame… but the diagram says differently as apparently you are aware.

Since ‘the shop’ will be supplied from a breaker panel (currently) fed from the ‘house’ 2kW inverter and the 1012LV-MK is NOT supplying the house- charging by solar and/or generator only- and the 1012 disconnects its N-G bond when the grid/gen-to-house homerun is energized …
So basically I need to think about that a bit more and come up with a no-mix wiring scheme. I already have six 10ga thhn in conduit (not yet in service) so I can keep the 1012 incoming circuit and the 2kW output circuits holy.
But thanks for pointing out the 6250 bond inside the rig- I “knew” that was on the diagram but hadn’t thought about it yet.

Edit
Probably just going to wire the shop breaker panel from the generator looking ahead to a 6048 or a couple 6548s, and just power a couple independent outlets and a light from the ‘house’ feed. Saves a couple things from needing attention.
During lunch ran entire house off the genny so triple confirmation 120/240 split phase. Did see in a video by a forum member that you need to balance 120v loads the best you can across both legs. This inverter generator has two inverters in it.

What's the point of protection with circuit breaker if source is current limited?
You are right of course.
Just an oddity to me to see no breaker on the L14 is all, though I get your point.

The wire to the frame (wing nut) only removes the bond to the frame
Yes. Just was noting that the person on phone said “240 only” and that removing the frame screw unbonded it. Which of course made no sense to my head and clearly the wiring diagram says differently.

My 2¢ opinion,
Don’t buy something you can’t fix!
By the way, my simple 5k generator that I can fix is humming as I type! ?

“Hey look ?” I found a 2¢ generator!
Memememe as I sing out of key ?!

Learn to build your own generator like I learned how to build my own battery. (Thank you Will!)

Attachments

• C264B6EB-6EEB-40F4-B9DA-749F428D8CF5.jpeg
    C264B6EB-6EEB-40F4-B9DA-749F428D8CF5.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
My 2¢ opinion,
Don’t buy something you can’t fix!
By the way, my simple 5k generator that I can fix is humming as I type! ?
59.9-60.0 HZ @240v
yep i can fix both my 5k and my 10k the denyo 1600 suitcase i do not know if I can or not yet. we shall see with time. i would guess that parts will be unattainable after about 10 years where both the larger gensets due to their non homeowner nature will have parts for a long time. Proof in point, i can still get parts for both and one was made in 92 so its 30 years old +

the denyo 1600 suitcase i do not know if I can or not yet
There’s maybe two failure points with proprietary parts, right? Well aside from the motor.
The inverter, and the control board. Maybe buy spares now?
I’d think bearings, bushings, circuit breakers and such other ancillary parts would all be sourceable in the parts-bin warehouses like “bearing specialties” and other industry suppliers. Almost nothing is new under the sun

Something similar from local auto store (possibly higher quality?) is what I needed to fix an Onan engine on a trencher. Same motor used on generators.

I haven't made my first billion yet, so I'm being frugal.
I am a pensioner though! Received a check for $427, and COLA makes the next one $428.
Good thing I live in my mom's basement.

Something similar from local auto store (possibly higher quality?) is what I needed to fix an Onan engine on a trencher. Same motor used on generators.

I haven't made my first billion yet, so I'm being frugal.
I am a pensioner though! Received a check for $427, and COLA makes the next one $428.
Good thing I live in my mom's basement.

The Onan oem one lasted 350 hours on my RV.

It's $18.00 Chinese Amazon replacement lasted exactly the same # of hours.

100 hours @ 50 mph = 5000 miles. 350 hours = 17,500 miles.
Fuel pumps in my cars last 10x that long or more. I've had like 2 fail out of many cars. And those are continuous operating 100 psi injection pumps.

Could be the weather exposure.

100 hours @ 50 mph = 5000 miles. 350 hours = 17,500 miles.
Fuel pumps in my cars last 10x that long or more. I've had like 2 fail out of many cars. And those are continuous operating 100 psi injection pumps.

Could be the weather exposure.

The generator pumps are the oscillating type.

The contact points inside them just burn up as part of normal use.

I replaced it with Edelbrock motor-type pump. Waaaaasyyyyyyyyyy too big but we'll see how long it lasts.

Sounds better than the pulsing type.

TWO Brands of Inverter Generator to AVOID AT ALL COSTS !
Energizer Branded (Nothing at all to do with Enegizer Battery Co) & others are flogged by Midland Power Inc.
https://www.midlandpowerinc.com/ BE SHOCKED - but NOT surprised....

Then King Industrial / King Canada... Good motors but the crappiest electronics.

These ARE inverter Generators BUT if you put a Motor Load with high surge even if below rating they POOF FETS !
2800W Energizer (3200 peak) blew it's fets with a 1500W Load and most ungracefully !

They went fast. The champion Amazon store said limited quantity and limit one. By the time my wife logged into her Amazon account they were gone.
What a steal of a deal.
I have 2 champion 201003 which are their 5500w starting, 4000w running and the parallel kit. Unfortunately I’m still limited to 120v but at the time they didn’t have your model available, only the larger 9/10k.
I like that you focused on fuel consumption, that’s what sold me on mine. The next size up was 2x the motor size in CCs which caused a >50% consumption increase.
On one genie I’ve gone upwards of 18hrs on a single 20lb propane tank
Bonus was at under 140lbs one can heave it into the truck bed solo in a pinch

Last edited:
Back