diy solar

diy solar

Another Dead 120/240v Inverter Generator

May have already been covered, but many 120 volt generators come with a kit that will parallel. What that means, I don't know. I had thought that mean split phase, but the advertisements make me believe I hook two 2200 watt constant generators up in parallel and I get 120 volt 22200 watt total off a RV 30 amp plug. I don't know what I gained by doing this.

I have a craftsman 3300i or 3000i that is capable of this paraleling, and this link has two for sale with the parallel kit:

Seems it

Is the output floating, or is N bonded to G?
Wonder if L of one generator could go to N of other, bond that one, to get split phase?
Likely depends on the link that synchronizes them. If an isolated data or analog signal, could work. If only the AC wires themselves, then no.
Maybe a small transformer to create split phase for synchronizing, then the second inverter-generator carries the load?
(Danger Zone!)

Parallel 2200watts @ 120 V means 4400 watts at 120 volts.
I found that out later. Happy I never purchased the parallel kit. Still, reading the two links above parallel still gets me only 2200 watts. Might mean 2200 watts to l1 and 2200 watts to L2.

Is the output floating, or is N bonded to G?
Wonder if L of one generator could go to N of other, bond that one, to get split phase?
Likely depends on the link that synchronizes them. If an isolated data or analog signal, could work. If only the AC wires themselves, then no.
Maybe a small transformer to create split phase for synchronizing, then the second inverter-generator carries the load?
(Danger Zone!)
I thought there would be many 120 volt generators that could link to split phase.

I found that out later. Happy I never purchased the parallel kit. Still, reading the two links above parallel still gets me only 2200 watts. Might mean 2200 watts to l1 and 2200 watts to L2.

It says the parallel kit doubles the power. Where are you getting the idea that a parralell kit would link two generators together but still only provide the output of one?

I thought there would be many 120 volt generators that could link to split phase.

No.

What a steal of a deal.
I have 2 champion 201003 which are their 5500w starting, 4000w running and the parallel kit. Unfortunately I’m still limited to 120v but at the time they didn’t have your model available, only the larger 9/10k.
I like that you focused on fuel consumption, that’s what sold me on mine. The next size up was 2x the motor size in CCs which caused a >50% consumption increase.
On one genie I’ve gone upwards of 18hrs on a single 20lb propane tank
Bonus was at under 140lbs one can heave it into the truck bed solo in a pinch
240v was critical for me followed by consumption. If inverter or batteries go up in smoke, need to get water from the well
and use inverter generator directly for everything. Just added a motor snorkel this weekend for propane. Works great. After I break this in further on gas, will do a propane consumption test.
IMG_4391.jpegIMG_4394.jpeg

Last edited:
Champion, Firman, Duromax, and the Harbor Freight generators typically have a good reputation for "cheap" generators. The first three have a service network in the US. Not sure about Harbor Freight. If you look at the Food Truck forums, the Harbor Freight and Duromax 9500 watt inverter generators are popular. Some of the users get 3000+ hours out of their inverter generators. Hard to complain about that.

Back