diy solar

diy solar

LV5048, 4 renogy 300w panels and 8 Battleborn batteries...in de box!

ebdesroches

Hopefully someone will find something useful. I jumped off the Will Prowse (thanks Will) springboard and this is my completed backup solar system. Here is a few specifics:
IMG_20191114_131509.jpg
1. LV5048 5KW 240V split phase inverter. 72watt idle power
2. 8 battleborn batteries in this aluminum C&D (cheap and dirty! hinges put on with pop rivits....but otherwise clean and nice aluminum) Chinese tool box. used 1/0 wires as recommended by MPP. Box link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BRDW0VA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The batteries provide up 9.6 KWHR.
3. I used a 30amp DPDT switch on the input to switch between generator and utility line in
4. I used a Victron 712 to figure out what is happening
5. The 240 LV 5048 output is totally isolated to 10 critical circuits in the house by a transfer switch. I have built this system separate from a more expensive 20 panel on grid net metered system which I had installed. Building a separate backup power system allowed me not to cut into the main system and void the warranties....since its totally isolated. Well the input "TO" the lv5048 does come from the grid.
6. The mount for the solar panels is constructed out of primed, latex house painted pressure treated wood. I used a 2" galvanized pipe as a rotating spit for panel inclination with a small wench to tilt it (not really necessary but is convenient). Since the pipe weighs a lot I bought a 10' section and 5' section and coupled them. Used pipe caps on ends to keep the bugs out. The panels are bolted to a 1/4 X 1 1/4" flat steel that has a 4" X 4" l bracket welded to it. The 4" X 4" provides mounting for to the 2" galvanized pipe. The panels were safely lifted with tie down straps and a carabiner ring on the end. the carabininer if put on the tie down straps provides a ramp to pull the l bracket on mount over the galvanized pipe.

So far because of chimney and roof shadows I may be generating only a couple KWHRS a day....but this is winter and I guess I will get 5-6KWHRs in the summer when the sun is overhead and there is more daylight. I can always charge the batteries with my generator if need be. It a honda 3000 which I have modified to burn propane, natural gas from the house and of course gasoline. I bought the very large size propane tanks (5' size?).
IMG_20191114_132048.jpg
IMG_20191114_132110.jpgIMG_20191114_132149.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191125_080124.jpg
    IMG_20191125_080124.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20191125_083043.jpg
    IMG_20191125_083043.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20191214_133753.jpg
    IMG_20191214_133753.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Wow, I bet you pulled your hair out finding the lsr’s and lsl’s! Them ain’t at Home Depot are they...

That is the system I am building, only mine is 1/2 that for now with the option to double to your size later with a 2nd LV2424. Very similar transfer panel.

Home Solar.png

(your only getting 2kw a day? I am getting 1.5kw a day and this is November and in Missouri< I only have 4 (100 watt HQST)) panels.

(your only getting 2kw a day? I am getting 1.5kw a day and this is November and in Missouri< I only have 4 (100 watt HQST)) panels.
Well, this is encouraging lol. What do you get on a 100% overcast November day?

.6 kilowatt or so

this is a good day
2019-11-15_11-16-35_351.jpg

Last edited:
.6 kilowatt or so
That's the problem with Nov/Dec... so fricken overcast, in part because of lake effects (warm moisture from lake causes clouds/snow). It clears up where I am a little in Jan, and a lot in Feb.

@ebdesroches do you have schematics and more photos for your array mount? I've been contemplating how to build a good wood mount. I like the idea of 2" steel for tilt adjustment.

i just stood up some 2x12s and 2x4s and fastened the panels to them it gave me the tilt i needed and was a easy mount. Makes a heavy panel mount.

i just stood up some 2x12s and 2x4s and fastened the panels to them it gave me the tilt i needed and was a easy mount. Makes a heavy panel mount.
I'm trying to get the details on how it is all fastened. I can see you have clamps on each side of the panels to the steel, but don't see how those clamps are attached to the panels themselves. And how is that fastened to the roof?

Any chance you got close ups before putting it on the roof?

i dont fasten to the roof it is a flat roof with side walls the help shield the panels from wind. The mount system is very heavy so i has not moved at all in a windy Missouri winter. I just used wood screws to fasten the panel brackets to the wood. Is will be very strong and heavy.

Sorry, meant to ask @ebdesroches ... regarding his photos in OP.

But if you have photos of your mount, @ray , I'd love to see them. I'm looking to do a ground mount, so can tie it into ground screws (my dog has a spare lol -- only use when I take him somewhere not fenced).

I'm trying to get the details on how it is all fastened. I can see you have clamps on each side of the panels to the steel, but don't see how those clamps are attached to the panels themselves. And how is that fastened to the roof?

Any chance you got close ups before putting it on the roof?
I will take some close-ups for you when I have daylight

Shows the L bracket welded to flat stock. The flat stock has through holes that the panels are bolted to near top and bottom.

That is the system I am building, only mine is 1/2 that for now with the option to double to your size later with a 2nd LV2424. Very similar transfer panel.

View attachment 2177
My system leaves a lot for expansion. Your system likely uses less idle power and is far less expensive. You could use used Tesla batteries/with BMS for a far far less costly system. I was too worried about burning my house down. Agreed that my gasoline car is more likely to cause a fire than the Tesla battery/BMS.

Shows the L bracket welded to flat stock. The flat stock has through holes that the panels are bolted to near top and bottom.
Is the L bracket loose or bolted/welded to the 2" pipe so that rotating the pipe changes panel tilt?

Back