diy solar

diy solar

Help me fix my access to this website.

The only changes I've made to my router lately is to update the wireless "Guest" network that I relegate my 9 year old to using with her toys. My daughter's laptop and tablet must use the wireless "Guest" network because she's not old enough to understand viruses and malware and I don't want that crap having access to my regular LAN.

So for Christmas, we bought her a Nintendo Switch gaming thingy and I had to allow it access to the "Guest" network, and then I blocked it's access to the wider web for now.

I make configuration changes to allow and block LAN devices all the time and have never had a problem.
Have you power cycled your router already?
It almost feels like you are on the "guest" wifi

Hmmmm

Yeah, a ticket with this issue will be opened at the provider. I noticed that an hour ago as well...

Still would be odd that this causes the issue especially when a gig at 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 returns just fine.

Have you power cycled your router already?
It almost feels like you are on the "guest" wifi
I'm hardwired and if I was on the "Guest" wifi, it wouldn't give me access to the router itself.

The error message looks to be generated by the server side and not the browser.
Notice the string "DIY Solar Power Forum".
Yup.. I noticed that in the address bar but wasn't sure if it was a browser default thing or an actual response by the website.

I understand, but have you powercycled the router ?
Since a traceroute ends after your 192.168.x.y means your router is blocking you, not your ISP.
Which would in my book be worth a power cycle of the router :cool:
I did not try power cycling the router yet. Stand by.

Nope. Didn't work. Going to edit my original post to include that in my list.

I've had this forum not load and act similar quite a few times. I've never gone to the lengths you have. Normal I just wait like 30 and everything is back to normal.

Good luck! I hope it gets figured out

You said you have changed your DNS, i presume you have done this locally on your PC, in some instances, this will still be forwarded to whatever DNS settings are present on your router. I would change the DNS there to either google or cloudflare DNS, re lease and renew your DHCP on your PC and try again.

You said you have changed your DNS, i presume you have done this locally on your PC, in some instances, this will still be forwarded to whatever DNS settings are present on your router. I would change the DNS there to either google or cloudflare DNS, re lease and renew your DHCP on your PC and try again.

When I changed the DNS settings in my router from automatic to google's 8.8.8.8, nothing changed. Depression set in, sadness, sorrow, and an overwhelming feeling of gloom.

And then I had an epiphany, a religious experience, and the light from the heavens shined on me.. (imagine the funky music in your mind)

My internet modem is also a router! Cranky! That thing sits high up in the rafters in the garage so it can connect to the cell phone tower and I never think about it. It has its own crappy useless router built into it.

So I rebooted the modem in the hopes it would change my IP address and I think it did.

I didn't change any DNS settings, I just rebooted the damn modem that I never think about and the reboot did the trick.

My problem is fixed sir.. Because of your suggestion, I remembered I'm actually behind two routers. You are a genius and you win the internet for today. First born children and schools will be named in your honor.

I understand, but have you powercycled the router ?
Since a traceroute ends after your 192.168.x.y means your router is blocking you, not your ISP.
Which would in my book be worth a power cycle of the router :cool:
See post above this one. I forgot that my internet gateway, which is a modem that connects to my local cell phone tower, is also a router. I never considered it because the router is so lousy we don't use it for our LAN. Instead, I plug in my own hardwired router, and the gateway modem is lost to distant thoughts and memories.

So after the other poster reminded me of the router having its own DNS settings, I conjured a mental image and traced things from my computer, through my router, through the modem.. wait. wait.. its not just a modem, it also has its own router.. what if I reboot that too?

Yup.. all is fixed and the world is right again!

Thank you, and thank you to everyone else who helped.

This issue is fixed now by the way.
Is this a new issue that I am encountering or a policy change.
I can no longer edit a post after a couple of hours as the edit button disappears! This kind of sucks because I do half of my posts on an iPhone 8 and i accidentally hit a suggest word at the top and the grammar becomes a mess. I typically fix them when I get home to a PC where I can see the screen clearly.

That one. Too many posts with questions where members spend a lot of time answering only to then have OP delete the question(s) and follow up posts...
Well crap man, that's no good.

I was editing MY original post in this thread to update the list of things I tried and was going to edit it again to add the solution that worked.

Is there a way to allow certain users and disallow newbies and jerks?

Back