diy solar

diy solar

Help me fix my access to this website.

Yeah, we had a post where someone deleted everything they wrote, and it drives me crazy. Full-grown adults that still need to be managed like children. I have enabled a time sensitive edit option. This allows people to still edit their post but not ruin the forum. This is the norm for twitter and other sites. I think it is a good idea to implement considering we still have this childish behavior still occurring.

I could enable editing for members that post a lot. I think that would be worth it.

Actually doing individual member permissions is not so easy with our forum software. It would require a lot of time to change every permission set they have and then implement the ability to edit/delete. I am trying to enable it with Robby right now. It allows for a lot of human error too. I could easily disable one of Robbys permissions and he may or may not notice, but it would affect his forum experience.

Just edited Robby's permission set so that he can edit when he gets home. I think everything is solid, but let me know if something is not working, or you do not have a permission to do something. @robby

Please man this edit passed policy is now so restrictive.
Just edited Robby's permission set so that he can edit when he gets home. I think everything is solid, but let me know if something is not working, or you do not have a permission to do something. @robby
Thanks Will, it is working again. :love:

I think Will needs to delete these last few posts, or else there's going to be a line of members asking for their edit back! ?

What do you guys think? Let me know if you disagree
I think the best solution is to just limit new members and then leave it open once they get past 200 posts.
I have seen that done on other forums so I think it is possible. It might be a plugin you have to get.

I have been in some major arguments with guy on this forum and one thing I will say is that none of them went back and changed what they said, even when they got egg on their faces and were totally wrong, including me lol.
I think we have a core group of responsible people here who just edit posts for bad grammar or to add clarifications or new information to their posts.

Interesting points everyone. Maybe we should leave it available, and if someone breaks the rule, they will be permanently banned. That would be easier to enforce, too. When it happens, members report it every time. And yes, it typically is the folks who just signed up recently.

Yeah, we had a post where someone deleted everything they wrote, and it drives me crazy. Full-grown adults that still need to be managed like children. I have enabled a time sensitive edit option. This allows people to still edit their post but not ruin the forum. This is the norm for twitter and other sites. I think it is a good idea to implement considering we still have this childish behavior still occurring.

I could enable editing for members that post a lot. I think that would be worth it.
I edit my post alot because English is my second language so sometime what I write does not make sense or not clear so I go back and edit my post.

I never would have guessed this, your posts are better than many of those that grew up speaking and writing English.
Yeah I would never have guessed either.

Here is an idea on the edits.

Allow edits for everyone for the first 30 min. This allows for corrections.

After that, unlimited for those with over 200 posts AND 3 months (prevents spamming just to get to the edit function).

Allow edits for everyone for the first 30 min. This allows for corrections.

I think that's the setting right now.

After that, unlimited for those with over 200 posts AND 3 months (prevents spamming just to get to the edit function).

That's not available as an option in the forum software. So we either have to implement that ourselves (I don't think I have the time for it) or wait until the forum software supports it (which I don't think is any time soon...).

I'm new on this forum, but moderate very large forums, one being for a popular electrical mfg often discussed around here.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that editing should really never be disabled. In some forums there's "edit history" where you can see what has changed. In reality, if you think content should be preserved, the easiest way is to use quoting.

Especially on forums focused on highly technical community support removing the ability to edit can be really rough. Examples include technical write-ups, discovery topics, that have constantly changing data. Updating the OP with relevant links and revised information is preferred over digging through many pages. An example from me, a couple days ago, I thought I pulled a combo breaker so I said as such, then when I got home and checked it was just a GFCI. I struck out the word combo and changed it. If I wouldn't have, it might have created a larger discussion over something that wasn't correct.

If the mods or Will want examples from the forums I moderate DM me and I'd be more than happy to provide examples.

@DevSecOps The issue is that we're only a few mods here and we don't have time to deal with the (increasingly frequent) number of posters that completely delete the original question and any follow ups in a thread, turning the thread unusable and the frustration that comes from this from other users/commentators. Sure, whoever replies could quote the original post to preserve the question etc, but then you should do the same with everything you reply to and that's just crazy. We also have the history and could restore the deleted post, but that opens up a whole other can of worms.

Back